Tuesday, November 27, 2018




There are stretches when I'm standing there holding the sign when 20 people in a row will go by without even one looking at the sign. You learn to get used to the unpredictable unevenness in presenting something. Sometimes you can guess right about which oncoming person will give a smile at the sign or a thumbs up or say 'absolutely!'. Other times you lose. There's a guy who looks like Curtis Mayfield who I thought would show he liked it when he first came by. He didn't, and he hasn't in two years of walking by. I didn't notice him today. I did notice the cold though. Halfway through I had to reach in my nylon schoolbag which I keep nearby and exchange my wool gloves for thick mittens. I got warm again. Even warmer a few minutes later when a large, serious-looking guy seeing the sign said deeply, 'That's a good message.' 


No comments:

Post a Comment