Monday, June 29, 2015


School is out. I could feel it walking to the subway with the sign this morning. Kids I normally pass weren’t there. The subway was less crowded. No Asian
moms and kids getting off at Canal Street. I read James Agee on the train.

There were 20 parents, mostly women, I’d see every school day with their kids walking by me from both directions on Chambers Street taking their pre-schoolers and first graders to school. They’d smile as they went past my sign. A few of the kids got to where they could smoothly read the sign. Many of those parents and kids I won’t see again. One mother took my picture with her two little boys on Friday.

I saw high school kids every day walking towards hard-to-get-in Stuyvesant High.  One kid once had a basketball sweatshirt on that had the school logo and the team nickname on it: the Peg Legs.

These kids, the young ones and the teenagers, are not who the sign is about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment