Thursday, October 25, 2012

Weekly Reader

New York Magazine keeps shining

Reading about the dying of the print version of Newsweek, you might think any weekly magazine would be on its last legs. I’m a magazine junkie and the only weeklies I still get are New York, The New Yorker, and Sports Illustrated. I could live without most issues of the last two. I may soon just get New York.

The New Yorker has wonderful writing, but I’ve always got books next to me that have all the wonderful writing I need. The magazine takes time away from those books. As for Sports Illustrated, I think I’m about full up to my chin strap with writerly sports writing. I’ve been reading sports for 55 years. I know more about it than I need to.

New York is what a magazine ought to be. It’s of the moment. Its design keeps your eyes in the game. Its writers are superb. I love when it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment