Wednesday, June 27, 2018


remember toddling into my mother’s roomwhere she was taking a perfumed bubble bath in the late afternoon. I announced (or maybe thought), “I’m free. I can read.”
Could I really have had such an improbable thought at age six? Or have just told myself that that thought occurred to me then? And yet remember my mother’s sweetness, the good smell, the afternoon sunlight, and my very real feeling of joyful liberation. And, quite concretely, reading has 
always struck me as a passport to the world, one in which characters are more real than actual people, where values are more intense than in the dim light of reality, where characters fly up into destinies rather than paddle around in ambiguity.
I felt like a blind person who’d just regained his sight. I was no longer a Cincinnatian but 
rather an earthling. If things were clearly written in English, there was no text that was off-limits. I never read the standard children’s classics. No Wind in the Willows. Only recently did I get around to Treasure Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment