Tuesday, December 20, 2011



The Best Book I Read in 2011
The Art of Fielding

If I’d kept a log of the books I read during the year, I might recall a title I liked more than The Art of Fielding. But I didn’t, so this is the book that comes to mind as my best book of the year. It’s a novel and I’m not that big on novels any more, and I wouldn’t have read it maybe if the woman who works at the bookstore I go to hadn’t sensed it was the right book for me that day. Isn’t that reason enough to go to a real store? Make that a resolution.

Two other books come to mind. Hemingway’s Boat. A biography of his post-Paris years. And then there’s a small paperback book called you are here by a Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh. He has lots of books out. This is the first one of his for me. I think it changed me, though nobody’s noticed, or commented at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment