Wednesday, November 28, 2018






I just read that Bob Dylan and Neil Young are going to headline a music festival in London next summer. 

I saw Dylan Saturday night at the legendary Beacon Theater at 74th and Broadway. I'd seen him there almost exactly a year ago. I wondered all last week if maybe I should leave well-enough alone and keep being warmed by the great experience I had the last time at what I thought may really be the last time. But I had my ticket and a friend was meeting me there. 

The show was better than last year. Two hours, no intermission. His voice was just right. As of course it would be. He didn't say a word. He didn't play a guitar. He sat at an electric piano. He sang 20 songs. The ones you know sounded different. They sounded fresh like he wanted them to. A strong four-piece band around him. The last song he sang was 'Blowin' in the Wind' done new. You weren't sure what it was at first. By the time it ended with him sitting at the piano playing on the keys with his right hand and playing on his harmonica in his left, your elbows were on your knees, your eyes wide.



No comments:

Post a Comment