Thursday, January 24, 2019

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1705/24184804629_61c0cda426_b.jpg

Raining all morning, so no sign today. I've been reading about the LA teachers strike as it was happening all week. I get the LA Times online. It's cheap. Whenever there's a question of whether to spend the money on something like that, I remind myself that I used to spend 8 bucks on a pint of Guinness. I have been shocked to find how little LA spends on their school kids. The city's near the bottom of every education spending category. People who can, send their kids to private schools. Charter schools take 20% of the kids. Class sizes in the public schools are sinfully high. There's a shortage of school nurses, and counselors, and librarians. And this is California where you think progressive programs grow on trees right next to avocado toast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment