Monday, November 16, 2020


THEY SAY THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN READING MORE in these past months. 35% I’ve seen quoted. That would make sense. Imagine the people though, young people and older people, who can’t read well enough to get deep time with a book or a magazine or something that would mean something to them online. The TV would be going all day, and so would other screens with their quick restless information. Hour after hour. Since March. Or since always. We have failed in giving many citizens the most valuable tool.


1 comment:

  1. It’s odd, Bill, but my reading (normally c.20 books a year) has dropped off. And a lot of my reader friends have similar tales - the consumption of news since March - Covid, George Floyd, BLM, the election - has eaten away both at reading time and the calm that generates reading time. It took me several months to finish B.F. Skinner’s “Walden Two” and I’m only now returning to my half-read “Lawd Today” (Richard Wright) and am ready again for a meaty tome like the Obama book i spotted in your lap!

    ReplyDelete