Sunday, February 21, 2021

 


MAKING CHANGE


Two times I’m sure

I think 

that the young Korean guy 

in the flat-brim baseball cap 

behind the counter

at the bodega 

every morning 

gave me change for

a 10 when

I gave him a 20.

You think he goes to NYU

but he might not.

He might be living with his family in a 

small hot even in winter

apartment in Queens where

there used to be lots of

Irish bars.

He asked in an muffled accented voice through a mask 

two months ago if

he should read Ernest Hemingway or

The Great Gatsby.

He asked me a week or so later if

I invested in the stock market.

I ask him if he’s freezing these mornings 

in the cold store

and he says he’s OK and 

points toward the floor at a space heater that

I can’t see.

He has a hoodie over his

flat-brim baseball cap

on cold mornings.


2 comments:

  1. Good description. Did he realize his "mistake" and did you get the proper change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Which is when it me that he was maybe a poor kid of the streets where he was from. Over the years that’s happened a couple times with other young guys too.

    ReplyDelete