Saturday, August 14, 2021

 


Jason Reynolds has written bestselling books for young people. He’s now the Library of Congress’s National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature. ‘The New Yorker’ profiled him in the new issue. Here’s a paragraph from it. The whole piece is linked below that:

…In April of this year, Reynolds paid a virtual visit to students at Coalinga Middle School, in central California, from his sunny home office. His oversized Library of Congress medal was conspicuous hanging from his neck. He explained his role as the National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature: “What I’m supposed to do is encourage all the young people to read and write, right?” He continued, “If my teen-age homie don’t like to read, and I show up and I’m, like, ‘Hey, I know you don’t like reading, but guess what I’m getting ready to tell you? You got to read,’ they’re going to say . . . ‘No.’ That doesn’t work.”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/08/16/who-jason-reynolds-writes-his-best-sellers-for


No comments:

Post a Comment