Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Best Part of Waking Up

The morning paper has textures no computer can give you

I go to the corner between 5:30 and 6:00 in the morning to get the Times. My parents were early birds, now I am. I could get it delivered to my door and it’d be there that early, but I like to go out for it. I like the atmosphere of the city not quite ready for you.

A few mornings, the paper’s not there when I go. Trucks were delayed I guess. I get my coffee and go home. Those mornings I’ll read it online. (I’m not a Times subscriber so I only get a few days I can do that.) It doesn’t do it for me. It’s a hurry-up experience. The format and the videos and photo galleries and the archives, it makes you read differently. I don’t want to read differently.

I love a newspaper. I’m writing this near Boston where I am at a friend’s for a week. His house is a block and a half from a place you can get Dunkin’ Donuts coffee and the Times and the Boston Globe. You can’t improve on that, and they haven’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment