Thursday, August 2, 2018



You need companions. In the 60s there was all that never-before-never since music. It was what we lived by.  It was in the background everywhere when we, students then, talked incessantly about maybe having to go to Vietnam. There were good political magazines and books too.  Michael Harrington’s book on poverty in the U.S. was a major one. It was given to JFK and it caused him to begin a war on poverty. I can still see it in my hands. I was standing staring at it, the day I bought it, in my dorm room sophomore year in college. 1966 0r 67.

There’s no music now like there was then. You’d think there would be given the state were in.

There are books by people like Naomi Klein and Ta-Nehisi Coates.

I grabbed this reprint of the Harrington book the other night.

No comments:

Post a Comment