Wednesday, May 6, 2020


It’s May now. It’s Willie Mays’ birthday. He’s 89. I remember him as a player. He was my favorite so I keep track of him. I have a Giants cap that I wear a lot. 89 shocks me even though if I did the math in my head, that's what it would be. My being a month tomorrow from turning 73 shocks me too. For a Zoom call I had with my three daughters last week, I tinkered with the lamp on my desk to try to make my face look younger when the call came.

This isolation I don’t mind. I mind it for the society but for me I’m a loner. I don’t even need a real TV. I keep talk radio on in the background and I read a lot, and look at things that interest me on the computer, mostly art and photographs and interviews with bright people on YouTube. 

What I do miss is holding the sign in front of the Dept. of Education every weekday morning. I did it for seven years. I want to be back there. I hope school opens in the fall for all the reasons it should. And for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment